The Toucan | Kingston, ON

This was my first visit to The Toucan. It was a late Thursday night and we chose to seat ourselves outside, and I am so happy that we did. The side patio provides a cool atmosphere within one of Kingston's quaint courtyards, which it shares with Chez Piggy Restaurant & Bar. We grabbed the last available seats on the patio for our group of five. 

It was late, but I was curious about the pub's fare so I decided to try the soup of the day. I ordered a bowl of the featured Tomato Rosemary Soup. It was served with buttered toast, which was a delicious fresh white bread. The soup was also very good - I especially enjoyed the aroma and flavor of the rosemary. This soup was a nice introduction to the restaurant's menu, and I look forward to returning to try out more of their items.

The music was funky, but completely all over the place, giving the impression that that's the kind of vibe the pub is trying to promote - a relaxed, fun place to socialize with friends. The crowd that night was primarily males aged 22 to 50 and seemed to die out shortly after midnight. The server was friendly and timely. 

One quick trip to the ladies room and I immediately made the decision to never use this establishment's lavatories again. This is something that does drive me nuts about so many different restaurants; gross washrooms. As this was the first offence, I'll attribute the uncleanliness to the fact that the front of the restaurant seemed to be hosting a large group of golfers (the bags gave it away).

Overall, as first impressions go, this was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment